12/26/2008

Sixth night of Hanukkah / Chanukah

Well, for giggles, I thought I'd reprise my online celebration of Hanukkah this year. It conveniently coincides with my two weeks off from work (yes!) and I'm doing one of those "stay-cations" where I take the two weeks to do absolutely nothing except sit on my butt at home (yes!).

For the 8 nights of Hanukkah, I'll try to find some kind of Mathieu-related "gift" to share. So, in honor of the sixth night of Hanukkah, here is gift number 6.


On November 6, 2006, Mathieu was inducted into the Michigan Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. Why? Well, why not? Also, he was a big part of the Detroit Red Wings at the time, and has some impressive credentials: he's a two time Olympian, two time NHL All-Star, and a Stanley Cup winner. He is also the all-time leading Jewish scorer in NHL history. Said Mathieu of the induction: "It's a great honor. I'm real excited. It's going to be fun. My parents are coming in, so it'll be great" (quote from Ray Slover's article in the Sporting News)

Check out the really cute picture of Mathieu and wife Shannon at the ceremony next to his plaque at the MJSHF website.


An aside: For those who are interested, here is a neat "what you need to know about Hanukkah" story from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune: Spinning Tales: A Hanukkah Primer. And don't laugh at the graphic. That was the first animated gif I ever made, back in 1997 or so (using Claris Works clip art and a semi-legal copy of Photoshop). It was hot stuff at the time. =)

No comments: