12/21/2008

First day of Hanukkah / Chanukah


Well, for giggles, I thought I'd reprise my online celebration of Hanukkah this year. It conveniently coincides with my two weeks off from work (yes!) and I'm doing one of those "stay-cations" where I take the two weeks to do absolutely nothing except sit on my butt at home (yes!).

For the next 8 nights, I'll try to find some kind of Mathieu-related "gift" to share. So, in honor of the first night of Hanukkah, here is gift number 1.


On Christmas day in 1998, the Star-Ledger (NJ) had an article about Mathieu, the only Jew on the NY Rangers (and one of only three Jewish NHL players at the time) not feeling too left out during the Christmas season. The article is not available at the paper's archives, but I saved the text. See the article archived at the old Unofficial Mathieu Schneider Homepage. In it he talks about how he was a little more bothered as a kid with all the attention around Christmas, but admits that he and his brother would get a present on Christmas anyway.


An aside: For those who are interested, here is a neat "what you need to know about Hanukkah" story from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune: Spinning Tales: A Hanukkah Primer. And don't laugh at the graphic. That was the first animated gif I ever made, back in 1997 or so (using Claris Works clip art and a semi-legal copy of Photoshop). It was hot stuff at the time. =)

No comments: