12/27/2008

Seventh night of Hanukkah / Chanukah

Well, for giggles, I thought I'd reprise my online celebration of Hanukkah this year. It conveniently coincides with my two weeks off from work (yes!) and I'm doing one of those "stay-cations" where I take the two weeks to do absolutely nothing except sit on my butt at home (yes!).

For the 8 nights of Hanukkah, I'll try to find some kind of Mathieu-related "gift" to share. So, in honor of the seventh night of Hanukkah, here is gift number 7.


I'm not sure there was much snow in the land of Judea in 200 B.C.E when the Maccabees kicked the crap out of the armies of King Antiochus of Syria and took back the Temple. But because that epic battle-- and the ensuing oil-that-burned-for-8-days miracle-- took place in the month of Kislev (which corresponds with "our" November - December months), Hanukkah is often lumped together with the Winter celebrations that are widely symbolized by snow (at least in the Northern Hemisphere).

Hockey is a cold weather, wintery sport. Mathieu obviously has experience with that one. But there is another popular winter activity that Mathieu has never participated in, and looks forward to doing so when he eventually retires. What is is?
"Skiing is one of the things I'd love to do. I always say that's the first thing I gotta do when I retire. It's one of those things, it's just not worth it if you blow out your knee."
Yes, I know this one was a stretch, but it's hard to come up with 8 cool holiday/religious/winter-related things. And I hope to be skiing soon, so I've got the slopes on my mind. And yeah Mathieu, it is fun and worth a try.

An aside: For those who are interested, here is a neat "what you need to know about Hanukkah" story from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune: Spinning Tales: A Hanukkah Primer. And don't laugh at the graphic. That was the first animated gif I ever made, back in 1997 or so (using Claris Works clip art and a semi-legal copy of Photoshop). It was hot stuff at the time. =)

No comments: