11/27/2009

Geocities is going... going... gone...

This doesn't have much to do with Mathieu, but it is a kind of an interesting moment in the history of the Unofficial Mathieu Schneider Homepage, so I thought I'd mention it:

Geocities is gone.

Back in the day (i.e., the 90's), Geocities was an awesome service. It was basically a free web host. All you needed was some basic HTML skills and you could have a web page. That is how the Unofficial Mathieu Schneider Homepage came to be.

Over the years new technologies came and traditional static "web pages" gave way to other ways of publishing and sharing information online. The Unofficial Mathieu Schneider Homepage stuck around in that static environment for a long time, mainly because I was too busy to change anything.

Last year, I got tired of paying $5 a month (what I had paid since Yahoo! bought Geocities) and decided to finally get with the times and move the content over to a blog. It was not only free, but the format works much better for what this site has become. I've been very happy with the move. Hopefully it works for the readers of the site. (I know, I go off on a lot more random tangents now; I'm not sure if that has to do with the format or the fact that I'm finally done with school and have more time-- too much time?-- on my hands)

Anyway, looks like I made the right move at the right time. Earlier this year I got a notification that Geocities was no longer going to be supported. At first, it was just that no more editing access was going to be available, but it broaden and all pages would be shutdown. Gone. Poof.

So, on October 26, http://www.geocities.com/schtimpy27 disappeared forever. The longtime home of this page, and a place that was responsible for the opportunity to make some of the greatest friends and have some of the greatest experiences of my life, no longer exists.


But while it chokes me up, it is just a place. Not even a real place, at that! All the content has been moved over here, and the increased interaction made possible by the new format has made even more connections possible.

Good bye www.geocities.com/schtimpy27 (also known as www.geocities.com/Colosseum/6813)
It's been fun, it's been real.

No comments: